Friday, February 5, 2010

The Haberdashery Boutique & Jill's Forecast for 2010!


























One of my favorite places to shop - anywhere - is the Haberdashery Boutique in Fredericksburg, Texas. Owner, Jill Elliott, who also happens to be one of my favorite people, loves all things vintage as I do, and her vision of a "modern vintage boutique" is right on the mark! With Valentine's Day approaching, a trip to Fredericksburg and The Haberdashery Boutique, would be a great way to spend the day or the weekend!

Jill carefully selects beautiful and beautifully made clothing with a vintage flair (no troublesome stains or vintage wear and tear to worry about) and to-die-for accessories like hats, shoes, handbags, headbands & jewelry. I met Jill at the Austin Christmas Affair a few years ago, and knew her shop would be the perfect place for my jewelry, and it has been a wonderful and enjoyable partnership ever since! The gorgeous pieces I've purchased from Jill, have become cherished staples of my warddrobe.

I recently caught up with Jill and she was kind enough to chat about the boutique for my readers, she also shared photos of the recent renovation of the store, and the adorable embellished headbands that she designed and crafted herself!

So, Jill, tell us about the store and what is going on this year?

Jill:
Ok, so we are finally organized and ready for 2010 in our store with newly finished beautiful wood floors. Yea! I wish I had sanded them 5 years ago, the entire store looks so much better, everything is highlighted!

Spring clothing has started to arrive and the store is transitioning once again to the next season. I love this time of year…lighter fabrics, more color, new styles. I just read in the Wall Street Journal from last week that “everything is in” for fashion. The designers are showing hodge podges of everything from years past, creating new looks for today. We are finally at the fashion point when your personal style and body shape is determining what to buy and wear. FINALLY!!! I was never one to be “on trend”…I didn’t wear mini skirts when they were “in”, skinny jeans never looked good on me, and I’ve never liked trench coats, but I always felt like I was “in fashion” anyway. I wore and still wear what I like and what I think looks best on my body shape. I am so happy to hear the fashion “Knows” feel the same. So, wear what you like everyone and you’ll be perfectly in fashion. The fashion trend is out!

For our early spring deliveries, I’m seeing lots of saturated colors like navy, purple, orange, turquoise, acid green. On the opposite scale you’ll see the fabulous neutral shades in whites, creams, and grays, with lots of organic cottons, knits and linens, but all very textural. Buy classic pieces so you don’t get sick of wearing them and this also allows you to change the “look” of the piece by adding different layering pieces under or over the piece, and different jewelry and scarves.

I’ve seen lots of fun hair accessories recently. I started making flower headbands for the store in November as a fun and inexpensive accessory. I use beautiful silk and fabric flowers with feathers, pearls, felted wool (I felted myself), jewelry pieces, beads, etc…Each one is a little different and they are selling very well.













The store will celebrate it’s 9th anniversary on March 17th, on St. Patrick’s Day. I remember the first day I was open; I was so scared no one would find me in the back of the Hill Country Music store. Thankfully, a few people did find me and I sold $67.00 that first day. Every time I sold one item, I’d buy 2 to replace it. That’s how I finally got to where I am today…a beautiful store with lots of beautiful clothing and accessories, in a Historic Building right in the heart of Main Street Fredericksburg. No matter where I go from here, I’ll always remember my first tiny store and the opportunities and training that it brought me in my humble beginnings. Thanks to my dad for letting me set up shop in the back of his music store so I could learn the ropes.

In a year when money seems to be tight for many of us, I’ll be concentrating on great values on clothing, an fabulous accessories and pretty jewelry, plus of course those obscure and unique fashions from far and wide. Come shop with us and see what treasure you might find!

Check out Jill's shop online: http://www.haberdasheryboutique.com/

Also be sure to follow Jill's blog: http://haberdasheryboutique.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment